Follow Us on Twitter

Follow us on Twitter: Eric @OAKDezey

Friday, May 27, 2011

Reflections on Philadelphia

First of all, way to go Athletics! Splitting the 4 gamer in Anaheim was a big boost after the debacle that was the previous week. Again, I am on vacation this week and not watching the games, so to learn more, I advise you to check out your favorite periodical or the official website for your A's news. The A's have 3 against Baltimore at home this weekend. It feels like there are no gimme games in this league anymore. Every team and every series presents its own challenges, and the Orioles are no different. Let's root for the A's to continue on the right track and in the AL West race!

In case you were worried about me, I have just finished spending 48 hours in the wonderful city of Philadelphia, PA. I give it glowing reviews. It's charm from neighborhood to neighborhood was remarkable, and old city truly blew me away. Huge shout out and thank you to Becca, who hosted me for two nights. She went above and beyond to make my stay worthwhile.

Currently, I am on a bus that just crossed the Susquehanna river en route to DC, where I get to check out the Nationals and Padres tonight. But that will be a story for next time, for now, let's talk about Roy Halladay, Ryan Howard and the Phillies.

Citizen's Bank Park is another gem. Watching a game there was as fantastic as I could have imagined, and like I did in Yankee Stadium, I made sure to walk around and see what the park had to offer.

Though it did not have the same majesty and history as Yankee Stadium, the exhibits set up behind the center field wall are a very nice touch to the park and the city. They chronicle baseball in Philadelphia complete with Negro League and Athletics notable moments. Ashburn Alley for food is nice out there too, and the beer selection is choice, featuring many local brews.

Seeing CC Sabathia and Roy Halladay pitch on back to back nights was unreal, as was seeing a bottom of the 9th walk off in NY, and then a Ryan Howard bomb to tie it in the 9th, which resulted in 10 more innings. Unreal. I actually did not stay for the full 19, which makes me a little sad, but it would have made me more sad to miss the subway.

The Phillies are a well built machine, and now that Utley is back and most of its parts are in working order, they're going to be very tough to beat by anyone. I wish I had something more insightful than that, but it sums it up pretty nicely.

Also, if you are ever in Philly, have a Schmitter. It was the best decision I ever made. Finally, best cheesesteak? I didn't get to the whole city, but Tony Luke's was phenomenal, with a shout out to the street cart on Market and 5th, which definitely pleased me this morning. Oh... last thing. The whole time I was there these two songs were in my head. Put them in yours and it will be like you were right there with me! Go A's!



1 comment:

  1. Citizens Bank Park is awesome...Philly knows how to create a sports complex 3 venues with plenty of parking, Oakland should take some cues from the city of brotherly love...Chickie & Petes crab fries are the best and if you get a chance try some Yuengling beer its the oldest brewery in America and makes the best beer

    ReplyDelete