Follow Us on Twitter

Follow us on Twitter: Eric @OAKDezey

Monday, May 23, 2011

Remember the Hitchhiker's Guide?

I hope you do A's fans, all 2 of you that read these posts anyway. What does it say on the front, pray tell?



I wish I had better advice. I wish I had been able to see the games this weekend. Instead, I partied it up in the Hamptons with the Kardashians. No joke. Well, half joke, it was not with them. But it was with some awesomely orange colored people and bros as far as the eye could see. See below for an effective descriptor of the experience.



Now, I realize this is a sports blog, and I should be talking about sports. However, I wanted to point out other possible titles of this post from the first three days of my excursion.

Day 1: Eric attempts to play soccer.

Again, no joke. After a flight that lasted an hour longer than it should have because of fog, my uncle took me directly to a pick-up soccer game. At which, you can imagine, I played like a regular Carlos Bocanegra.

Day 2: Eric attempts to party like Paulie D.

Mentioned earlier, the great Gambooch and I drove out to the Hamptons and partied it up. Because we drove and I had to see family later, our experience might have been better. Still, it was well worth the attempt, with the added benefit of the viewing party of many typical Long Islanders.

Day 3: Eric attempts to come to terms with the A's getting swept.

Today was much more relaxed, spent with my grandmother and my cousin. There was no mention of sports until she went to bed and I got to catch the end of the Lightning-Bruin matchup and the Mavs-Thunder game 4. So now, after having read the recaps from this weekends action, I say again, "Don't Panic."

The A's are in a skid. 5 in a row. This has to be the bottom, right? No, it absolutely does not. It is very possible that the green and gold do not see the other side of .500 again. Does this make me happy? No. But it's something that we, as fans, have to come to terms with. However, we were also breadths away from winning two of those games, and some of those will soon fall our way.

One thing that irks me. Including tonight's game, the opposition has scored in the first inning of the last four games. This displeases me very much. Our starters have to lock it up. So does Brian Fuentes. I wish I had more to say, but again, I didn't watch, and you're better off reading the recaps and the columns. But look, Oakland faithful, if this is where we fall, we fall. But, if we recover, then we look back on this as the point where we turned it around, where we survived the injuries to the back end of our rotation, where our lineup finally woke up, and where the green and gold won ball games.

A change may need to be made, but maybe Josh Outman is that change. Maybe getting Sweeney more playing time is that change. Who knows? I trust in Billy Beane, and though Frankie gets off mocking him, he's a good GM, and has been going off that formula for many years. He just didn't get lucky like Sabean. Yet.

It's a long season. It ain't over til it's over. Go A's!

1 comment:

  1. Don't panic is right!

    I seem to remember a team that got swept by their cross-town rivals in May of 2010, scoring only 1 run in 3 games.

    That team was the San Francisco Giants. And it all worked out for them.

    So hang in there, A's fans. We have a looooong way to go.

    ReplyDelete